Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Dog Bite

 The inevitable finally happened...I got bit by a dog while on a run yesterday morning. I was by myself in the middle of nowhere and it bled a lot and it was a very unpleasant experience which I never hope to repeat again. Thankfully I already had rabies shots so now I just need to get a few more boosters but I have been well taken care of my host family and friends and doctors here. It was inevitable because there are a ton of wild street dogs in Peru and I go running nearly every day and I was always kind of scared that getting bitten by a dog would eventually happen. I was planning to do a half marathon in May but now I am terrified to go running and get bitten by another dog...but I will figure something out because running has always been a big part of my life and I won't let it get taken from me.

There was lots of blood but the bite could have been a lot worse. 


It could have been worse! I was left with only two bite marks thankfully.

Thankfully I have these adorable cousins around to put a smile back on my face!! My family was really supportive and helpful. My host parents and siblings are gone in Lima but thankfully there are still a few cousins and aunts around to hang out with!



Making bread with my host aunts.


8 comments:

  1. Kendra we met you once briefly as you were leaving Newport Festival with your folks. Since we have heard so much about it it was great to see you in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyway I'm having difficulties with getting my comment to type. We've played music with your Dad and really enjoy hanging out with your Mom and heard so much about you your internships graduation now Peru. I am so sorry you got bit by a dog. Can you bring a sprayer of water or vinegar if its avail while you run

    ReplyDelete
  3. Urgh.... That's one nasty dog bite! You should have called the police to help you gather information about the dog owner. And gather some witnesses to strengthen out your claim. Dog owners should be responsible since it's his pet. Anyway, you should be more careful the next time you decide to run again on the streets.

    Nannie Leick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things in 3rd world countries don´t really work like that...police officers here could care less that I was bitten by a dog and won´t have a thing to say or do about it unless I bribe them with money. The government here is a lot more corrupt than in the US...Also there are hundreds of street dogs everywhere you go in Peru because the government doesn´t have the money to control the street dogs and they don´t even have a pound for dogs like we do in the states. So while I can be as carful as possible when I go out to run, there will always be a risk of getting bitten.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even if the inevitable had already happened, it doesn't mean that you're safe from chasing dogs now. Getting bitten once doesn't make you immune to whatever disease may come after. You definitely shouldn’t neglect those post-exposure shots. And as you said, there are lots of loose and stray dogs on your streets. Were you able to talk to anyone around the vicinity who can be held accountable for the dog? Laura@Christensen Young & Associates

    ReplyDelete
  6. The latest fashion industry news has announced a great number of varied fashion positions that eager enthusiasts must fill up. Numerous jobs abound in the fashion world. Sensitive eyelash glue

    ReplyDelete
  7. birthday invitations should be given as early as possible to avoid any surprises“ Beauty for You online shopping

    ReplyDelete
  8. Women the world over knows that beautiful skin is a great asset. Even if heredity hasn't given you the kind of skin you'd like, quality beauty products can work at giving your skin a smooth, fresh look. Thanks to scientists putting their knowledge to work in beauty research, there are products to suit all kinds of skin, hair, lips, complexion, your feet as well as for your personal hygiene. Beauty is not static, it needs constant care, and the question is, what beauty products would you reach for first if you had to present your best image? Cupping clinic Coventry

    ReplyDelete