Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Weekend Fun

Over the weekend there was a father's day celebration performance put on by the elementary school that is right by my house. It was so cute and fun to see!! Here in Latin America they really make a big deal about every holiday and celebrate it to the max with dances, fiestas, decorations, food and getting family together. It is something that I have really enjoyed about every Latin American country that I have lived in. Here are some photos of the dance performance and me with some kids I met at the dance:


Singing the Peruvian national anthem before the dance began.

Too precious!



I was lucky enough to get a dance with this handsome guy ;)

Just look at him!!

Over the weekend I also learned how to do laundry. Everything is washed by hand so it’s a lot of work! It takes hours and hours, especially if you have a big family. Every Sunday my mom spends at least half the day washing clothes. I would also like to say that I am planning on just getting use to looking generally unattractive for the next two years here in Peru.  I had brought a hair dryer and hair straightener to use on special occasions. I tried to blow-dry and straighten my hair on Friday night when I went out dancing with friends…the blow dryer exploded about ten seconds after plugging it in and my staightener also blew a fuse or something so now neither of my hair electronics work.  I guess the electricity watts here are different and couldn’t handle the high wattage in my blow dryer and straightener. It was quite frightening to turn on my hair dryer and have it basically catch on fire in my hand and it made my room spell horrible! I was planning on trying to look decent every once in a while, but now that’s not even an option, haha! Going out with a big group of Peace Corps volunteers was a lot of fun! There was a group of like twenty of us and we all went to a club and basically just had a big Peace Corps dance party. We all had so much fun just dancing the night away, being silly and getting out all the stress from our first week of training. The club we went to played pretty much all of the same songs that they would play at the clubs in Ecuador when I lived there.  Reggaeton, bachata, salsa, etc. Needless to say, I was a happy girl because it brought back so many memories of Ecuador for me and I just love Latino music! A lot of things in Peru remind me of Ecuador because there are a lot of similarities between the two neighboring countries. But at the same time, Peru is a whole new country to me with so much to explore and learn! The possibilities are endless here in Peru is so many different ways and I am so excited!! 

Some of the PC friends I went out dancing with on Friday



No comments:

Post a Comment