Saturday, August 4, 2012

Combi rides, concerts, and off to explore my new home!

Here in Peru a public bus is called a "combi". They are about half the size of a normal bus and the streets are always filled with them. In my experience, the public transportation system in Latin America is always interesting and often times can be a real adventure or a pain in the rear. Every day that we ride the combi to get to training or to another part of town, something comical or really annoying always happens. Unless we get lucky and there is actually a little space, getting on the combi is like trying to cram yourself into a can of sardines because it is always so full. Forget ever having a seat unless some gentleman insists that you sit in his seat. After somehow managing to squeeze in, you have to hold on for your dear life to the railing or else you are sure to fall over due to crazy driving from the combi driver and all the other cars around. There really aren't any real stops, people just get on and off when they please, there is always loud Latino music blasting from the speakers, you get stared at constantly and over charged for the ride by the combrador (the man in charge of collecting the money and shouting out where the combi is headed) if you are a gringa, and the only thing you can hope for is to not be that person that has to hang out the door because the combi is literally overflowing. What gets me every time is how much they always rush you to get on and off. The combi will start driving away before you are even actually on or off and every time people are getting on or off the combrador will yell at them to "BAJA, BAJA, BAJA!" (get off!) or "SUBE, SUBE, SUBE" (get on!) as they smack the side of the combi for dramatic effect. The most difficult part is when you somehow manage to get stuck in the very back and you have to push your way through the can of sardines to make it off where your stop is. As much as I have been entertained by all my combi experiences, I will be glad to move to a smaller town where I can use walking as my main means of transportation.

We love riding the combi ;)
Last week a dream of mine was completed after I got to see my FAVORITE Latino artist in concert! Romeo Santos from Aventura!!!! Aventura is band that plays a type of music called "bachata" and I swear that it is the most beautiful music you will ever hear in your life. My best friend back home Abby and I are OBSESSED with Aventura and the lead singer Romeo Santos because of our experiences living in Ecuador and how popular among the younger age group he is in South America. The concert was amazing and I definitely screamed and jumped around like a 12 year old girl at a Justin Beiber concert. I think I can now die happily knowing that I finally got to see Romeo Santos play his phenomenal music live ;) Not only does hearing his music make my heart melt because its such a beautiful voice coming from such an attractive Latino man, but its also because his music reminds me of so many amazing moments spent in South America where his music plays on every street corner and in every home....and on my ipod all the time because I am so obsessed :)

The famous Romeo Santos from Aventura

Ready for the concert!

Soooo happy and excited!

We were pretty far away from the stage but it was still awesome

Here is a youtube video of one of my favorite songs by Aventura:


Tonight I am headed to Ancash to spend a week visiting my site!! I will be meeting my new host family, my future counterparts, and exploring my new 2 year home!!! I am beyond excited!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment